Culinary Historians of Chicago celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2013. Culinary Historians of Chicago is one of the oldest continuously operating culinary history groups in the country and remains one of the least expensive to join and attend. Please join us or renew your membership today to help us continue to add to the vibrancy of our now over twenty-year old organization.
Funding is provided by your memberships, grants and program fees.
Your membership in Culinary Historians of Chicago has funded the following activities:
- Monthly meetings curated by program chair Scott Warner.
- Since 2005, Culinary Historians’ Chicago Foodways Roundtable was added as a pay-as-you-go series of additional programs, tours and hands-on learning experiences.
- Since 2008, Culinary Historians of Chicago partnered with WBEZ Chicago Public Radio’s Chicago Amplified to podcast our programs. This concluded in 2013, though Culinary Historians continues to record and host podcasts.
- We have sponsored symposia on Grits and Greens, Grits and Greens II and Munching Your Way Through the Midwest: Celebrating the History of America’s Food and Foodways, which introduced the Oxford Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink
- Culinary Historians of Chicago inspired the founding of Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance, which is a 501(c)3 whose area of interest is solely the American Midwest.
- Oversees the American Midwest Foodways Scholar’s Grants funded by the Julia Child Foundation.
Join Culinary Historians of Chicago, by completing this MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION, which you can edit in your information, then email or mail it. Annual membership is $36.00 for individuals, $60.00 for couples, and $24.00 for students. Prices are in U.S. dollars. Membership includes:
- Priority reservations to Culinary Historians of Chicago and Chicago Foodways Roundtable programs
- Membership card
- Notification of upcoming events
- Special member discounts for certain events
- If you would like a membership card mailed to you, please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your membership fee.
To attend a lecture hosted by the Culinary Historians of Chicago without benefit of membership, we do charge a fee for non-members: Adults are $5.00 and students are $3.00, unless otherwise stated. Fees are typically collected at the door.
All Chicago Foodways Roundtable programs are optional pay-as-you-go with fees typically $3.00.
If you have any questions, please contact us by e-mailing: email@example.com or calling: 847-432-8255.