Chef Christopher Koetke
While in Monterrey Mexico, I was served this corn bread for dessert at the hands of pastry chef Jorge Sanchez, who is the pastry chef at the Cumbres campus of UVM. It is a brilliant dessert that is really easy to assemble. Served warm it is great for dessert, but I prefer to serve it warm with a drizzle of maple syrup for breakfast.
1 ½ cups sweetened condensed milk
1 lb frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 stick and 5 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup flour
½ cup pancake mix
1/3 cup cornstarch
1. In a blender, combine sweetened condensed milk, half of the corn kernels, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Process until smooth and pour into a mixing bowl.
2. Using a whisk, mix the baking powder, flour, pancake mix, and cornstarch into the blended ingredients.
3. When well combined, stir in remaining corn kernels.
4. Pour into a well-greased 10-inch springform pan.
5. Bake in a 350° F oven for 40 minutes or until the cake is no longer liquid in the center and is well-browned.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool before unmolding.
7. Serve warm or reheat slices in the microwave before serving.
THIS CAN ALSO BE SERVED COOL.